Sunday, June 17, 2007

Freedom

it's father's day again.
every year
it seems
i
understand more
that
fathers
are

just

people

too.

I wonder if everyone thought their father's were Gods.

Some might think that holding a man
on a pedestal
is a sign

of love of adoration of admiration.

But
is
it
fair?

Knowing that the men...
the people
who have been my fathers
are simply
men.
flawed.
real.
learning.
growing.
trying.

Frees me from feeling not good enough.

This fathers day Dad
I
give
you
freedom
from
unrealistic
expectation.

and
I love you for exactly who you are.

2 comments:

Sid said...

Thought you might have given up on this thing, but my random spot check paid off. Insightful, as always.

Anonymous said...

freedom from unrealistic expectation

I like that statement. Don't we all need to do that - for ourselves and others.

thanks for keeping this going, Whitney, I enjoy your writing.